Suomenkielinen postaus täällä
Here it is finally, a new DIY post. Don’t know about you guys, but I’ve longed for it for a while. It seems that I needed my short break from sewing. Finishing this dress transformation was so thrilling to me and I love how the end result came out!
As a starting point for this project I had a pretty cool striped maxi dress I’ve used for couple of summers now. As cool as the dress was, I didn’t really feel that comfortable wearing strapless dress so something had to be done. Giving it up was not an option since I LOVE stripes. So here’s my starting point:
As usual Pinterest was my source of inspo and here is the final inspiration pic for this project (photo is a link to Pinterest):
I loved this dress and the leather pockets just completed the look perfectly. I also had all the material handy as I had saved a pair of leather pants from a nearby charity shop a while back.
The pattern for my dress is really simple. All pieces are parctically oblongs in shape and the only actual round shape is in the neckline.
1. Cut your dress in ”half” from the waist. Top part will be the sleeves and the bottom the bodice of the dress.
2. Cut a desired neckline to the bodice. You can use your favourite top as a pattern. Below the rough measurements of my dress (not incl. seam allowance)
3. Cut the leather pockets and glue the seam allowance to the back of the pocket with leather glue. Then glue the pockets in place to the dress. Note: you cannot use needles as they make permanant holes to the leather!
5. Sew the pockets in place.
6. Sew the dress together: shoulder seams, side seams and then the sleeves in place.
7. Hem the neckline and sleeves.
8. Hem the bottom of the dress.
I have a feeling this is going to be my favourite piece for this spirng and summer. What do you think?